- Planning Your Visit
- While You Are Here
- About Us
- Renting Our Site
Moved to MHP: 1985
Original Location: Lot 19, Concession 8, Stisted Township, Ashworth
History: This building was built by Henry Demaine for Stanley Ashworth in 1879. Over its long history is has served as a community hall, loyal orange lodge, school and cottage.
Moved to MHP: 1967
Original Location: Lot 24, Concession 6, Stisted Township, Etwell
History: This squared-log school house from Etwell was built by volunteer labour for $75.00 allotted by local trustees. The school, Stisted Section #4 opened on January 1st 1896 by Miss Carrie Hall of Ravenscliffe for twenty students
Moved to MHP: 1977
Original Location: Lot 88, Concession A, Spence
History: The Inn was built in 1878 by, or for, Levitt Simpson in the village of Spence at the junction of the East Colonization road with McKellar Ryerson (called the Ryerson Road) and the Nipissing Road. The Inn was run as a temperance boarding house by the Simpsons and was at times called the "Halfway House." It served as a stop for the cadge team drivers bringing mail from Rosseau to Commanda, where they could change their horses and rest. Visitors to the inn were transient workers, immigrants, and travellers.
Built: c. 1880
Moved to MHP: 1966
Original Location: Lot 16, Concession 13-14, Brunel Township
History: This building was built between 1876 and 1886 by Julius Shay. He lived in this house until 1887, when he sold it to Ned Fowler and his mother. In 1931 Charles Watson purchased the property and used the house as a summer cottage. The Watsons sold a portion of their property to the Huntsville Rotary Club at half is listed value to be used as a Pioneer Village in 196*. The building was move to its present site from its previous location in 1966 and adjusted to be used as a village workshop.
Moved to MHP: 1972
Original Location: Lot 8, Concession 2, Stisted Township, Aspdin
History: This barn was built by the Boles family in 1919, to service their growing farm. Barns were an important part of early life in Muskoka and people would come from all over the community to help with barn-raisings.
Moved to MHP: 1977
Original Location: Lot 27, Concession 14 Stephenson Township, Martins Siding
History: Daniel Bray located his free land grant in 1868 and brought his bride home to his log cabin in 1878. The original log portion of the house was soon enveloped in an expanded house, "Oak Grove", in the Ontario Gothic Vernacular style with this remaining log portion making up the summer kitchen.
Moved to MHP: 1964
Original Location: Lot 17, Concession 2, Stisted Township
History: Mr. Darling was the second settler; he married Hannah Dixon and they raised nine children. Settlers met here for the first Stisted Township Council meeting from 1874 to 1879.
Moved to MHP: 1963
Original Location: Lot 24, Concession 13, Franklin Township, Hillside
History: This Gothic or Ontario Vernacular house, built in 1874, replaced the Hills' log house and is quite lavish and attests to the growth of the lumber industry in Muskoka and the presence of a saw mill. Reverend Robert Norton Hill worked in this region as a Government Representative whose responsibilities would have included corresponding with England regarding land disputes and the inspection of lands confirming compliance with the Free Grants and Homestead Act. The path that Reverend Hill walked between Huntsville and Hillside is now Hwy 60.
Opened at MHP: 2000
This engine was built for the Canadian Gypsum Company in Windsor Nova Scotia and was originally plated as number 7. This Montreal Locomotive Works No. 67167 is a 21 ton, 0-4-0 tank engine with 10" x 16" cylinders. In 1948 the Huntsville and Lake of Bays Railway purchased this locomotive and once the replacement of two boiler tubes was complete it was renumbered 2 and they received delivery in August. This locomotive was found to be too heavy for the tracks and was stored in the engine shed as a spare.
Built: 1894 and restored for use at Muskoka Heritage Place
History: This coach was built by the Toronto Railway Company and first used on the Toronto Suburban Railway. It was purchased by the Huntsville and Lake of Bays railway to replace the four Toronto Street Railway horse cars that had become too small for the number of passengers crossing the Portage, and was used on the Portage Flyer Railway from the 1920s until 1958. These highly popular coaches seat a great number of people each year and just maybe your ancestors started the coach rolling as it were.
Moved to MHP: 1970
Original Location: Lot 18, Concession I, Perry Township, Novar
History: This building was purchased from Edward Hainsworth by Frank Gabriel Sr. when he moved to Novar in 1926. The Gabriel family lived in this building and Frank had a separate blacksmith shop on the property. Olive Gabriel donated her family home to Muskoka Pioneer Village in honour of her father and asked that it become the village blacksmith shop to reflect his passion for his calling.
Moved to MHP:1984
Original Location: Lot 28 , Concession 14 , Chaffey Township, Novar
History: The original site of the house was deeded to the Mills family in 1890 and, by the provisions of the Free Land Act, the house would have been built soon after. It passed through many hands until it was bought by Nawton and Minnie Maw in 1932. The Maw house was donated to the Muskoka Board of Education in 1970 for use in the Out-of-Classroom Education program. The house was dismantled at the original site and rebuilt by the Huntsville High School students in 1970. It was donated to Muskoka Pioneer Village in 1984 and moved to its present location.
Moved to MHP: 1969
Original Location: Lot 1, Concession 9, Monck Township, Falkenburg Junction
History: The store was built in 1878 in Falkenburg Junction (at the cross roads of the Muskoka and Parry Sound colonization Roads) by Mr. Edward Wheatly (Ned) Hay. Upon Mr. Hay's death in 1928, his wife, Emma, and daughter, Helen, operated the store. It was purchased by Mr. Frank Moore of Falkenburg in 1931 and operated by him as a store until 1953.
Moved to MHP: 1964
Original Location: Lot 32-33, Concession 12, Stephenson Township
History: This house was the second farmstead built by Henry and Elizabeth Hares, after their first one was burned. They raised 14 children in this house.
Mary Beth Robinson
March 16, 2016
September 10, 2016
Moved to MHP: 1963
Original Location: Stisted Township
History: Mr. Darling was the second settler; he married Hannah Dixon and the raised nine children. Settlers met here for the first Stisted Township Council meetings from 1874 until 1879.