- Planning Your Visit
- While You Are Here
- About Us
- Renting Our Site
This Geneva edition bible was printed in London in 1607. It was brought to Canada by Henry Demaine from Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire, England. Its 473 remaining pages were conserved in 1985 to preserve the Demaine family genealogical information that dates back to the early 17th century.
The Kent Hotel first opened on the southeast corner of Brunel and Main Street in 1895 by Frank Kent. It was three and a half stories tall, with fifty bedrooms, a fountain in the lobby, a dining room, a bar and two lounges, one for the ladies and one for the men. It was demolished in 1940 and replaced by a service station. This key was returned by mail to the Huntsville Post Office in March 1977and they donated it to us.
Built by C.O. Shaw on Lake of Bays in 1920, Bigwin Inn was the one of the premier resorts in North America in the 1920s and early 1930s. The Rotunda was the main reception area and contained many lounges for the comfort of Bigwin Inn's guests.
The Anglo Canadian Leather Company was a very important part of Huntsville's history. Members of the Shaw family ran the tannery from 1891 until 1962. At its peak it employed 200 men and was the primary supplier of boot leather for the British Armed forces in World War One. The Tannery used local soft-water and hemlock tannins to dye the leather that came in from all over North and South America. These leather pieces are a few of the pieces produced by the tannery over their 71 year operations.
The first phone in Stisted Township was purchased from W. Elemar Campsell, owner of the Muskoka and Parry Sound Telephone Company by William Demaine in 1908. The copper wire strung along trees, poles and the occasional fence post and connected the Demaine House to the Demaine Store and Ashworth Post Office. Despite having been hit by lightning twice, the phone is still fully operational.
The Huntsville swing bridge opened on February 17th 1902, replacing the old bridge which was considered unsafe. George Selkirk operated the swing bridge for decades, followed by John Hinton. The swing bridge was necessary to allow the passage of the steamships between southern and northern lakes of Huntsville. The last steamship passed through the bridge in 1952 and it was welded shut in the 1980s.
The Britannia Hotel was built by Tom White in 1905. The original four-storey lodge has its own power house and eventually grew to house 350 guest with tennis courts, bowling green, nine-hole golf course with a club house, dance pavilion, ski hill and curling rink. It was closed in 1973. These white china plates with blue rings and geese were specially commissioned from Germany to serve guests in the dining room.
Bronze Level Adoption by Phoebe Smith on July 6, 2016
This dollhouse was built by Mr. John Collins in 1920 for his daughters. Elaine Foster found it at a local antique store and lovingly refurbished it to represent a typical 1920s home.
The Gunter chain was a surveying tool used to mark out the lots and concessions of the early townships. It is an iron chain with 100 links and a brass piece on every 10th link to mark fractions. 1 chain is equal to 66 feet, 80 chains equal a mile and 100 chains the length between concessions.
Made in the Early Archaic period (7000 years ago), this stone tool may have been used as a spear head for hunting large animals. The First Nations people who made and used this tool were nomadic. They hunted and gathered seasonally in Muskoka for thousands of years.
The S.S. Algonquin travelled between Lakes Vernon, Fairy and Peninsula from 1908 -1958. This cast iron bell could be heard for miles as the steamship made its daily trips up and down the lake system. Mayor Frank Hubble saved the bell when the S.S. Algonquin was dismantled in 1958.
Charles Orlando Shaw and Jennie Lavinia Abbott were married on October 28th 1886. Jennie's cream dress with lace and extensive embossed skirt was also worn by their granddaughter for her wedding. C.O. Shaw was the General Manger of the Anglo-Canadian Leather Company, founder of the Anglo-Canadian Concert Band, owner of Bigwin and a driving force behind many Huntsville projects.
This small teacher's bell was used by J. N. Shearer, the principal of Huntsville Public School from 1891-1897. Bells like these were common in school to get the attention of the students, especially while in the yard.
This red and white signature heritage quilt was sewn by the Ladies Benevolent Society, and for a donation of 10¢ you could have your name embroidered on the quilt. This quilt was won in a raffle by Mrs. Dolmage in 1915.
Platinum Adoption by Vaughan Kitson on April 6, 2016
This brass bell called Huntsville Public and Huntsville High School students to class. It was purchased from the F.N. Moyer and Company of Toronto for $77.00 and was installed by Salem Snyder for $65.00 on the red brick Huntsville Public School on Caroline Street in 1910. This school was demolished in 1967 to make way for a new school ont he site, but the bell tower was saved. For many years this brass bell has been the symbol of the Muskoka Pioneer Village at Muskoka Heritage Place.
Washboards were used to hand wash clothes. Clothing would be soaked and then rubbed against the ridged surface, forcing the water through the cloth and carrying away the dirt. Metal and glass became common rubbing surface materials in the 20th century. This one has galvanized ridges. The McFarlane Manufacturing Company was a Toronto based business.
The company name and "Queen City Globe" is printed in black.